Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Feedback Manifesto

I have come to value

Verbal, constructive feedback over written evaluations
Measuring output over measuring input
Frank feedback from colleagues over speculative management judgment
Real-time, frequent feedback over periodic high-ceremony assessments

Though the things on the right are commonplace and often dictated by antiquated HR policies, I value the things on the left more. Much more.

Principles

Giving feedback

My highest priority in giving feedback is to help my colleagues improve - to benefit them individually and the organization collectively. I always preface my feedback with this sentiment.

I understand that not all recipients are comfortable with feedback. I choose the time and place of delivery to respect this sensitivity.

I always ask the recipient if he/she is willing and receptive to feedback at that time/place and graciously accept "not now" for an answer.

My feedback focuses on behavior and outcomes - not the person.

When providing critical feedback, I consider the constraints and challenges in play at the time of the performance for which I am providing feedback.

I acknowledge intelligent risk-taking as a necessary component of creativity and delivery of value and incorporate my appreciation for it in my feedback.

I ask for feedback on my delivery in order to continually improve my ability to give constructive, valuable feedback.

Receiving feedback

I welcome critical feedback about my performance as a gift, and express my appreciation accordingly, regardless of whether I agree.

If I am not in a good place to receive feedback, I respectfully request an opportunity to reschedule.

I refrain from defensiveness or questioning the motives of the person giving me feedback in order that I can absorb the essence of the feedback.

No comments: